Small fine puffs with vanilla cream and fresh berries. What sounds like a great cooking challenge is not that hard at all. Cornelia Poletto shows us how to do it right!
with vanilla cream and fresh berries
Preparation time: approx. 11/2 hours
Ingredients for 4-6 servings (about 16 profiteroles):$config[ads_text] not found
For the dough:
- 1/8 l of water
- 30 g of butter
- 75 g of flour
- 2 eggs
For the cream:
- 1 vanilla pod
- 3 egg yolks
- 60 g of sugar
- 30 g cornstarch
- 350 ml of milk
- some butter and flour to prepare the baking tray
- 250 g of sugar
- 400 g of fresh berries
(eg strawberries, raspberries)
- Icing sugar to taste.
- Boil water, butter and a pinch of sea salt in a small saucepan. Add the flour at once and stir the mixture until it loosens as a lump from the bottom of the pot and forms a white layer on the bottom of the pot. Pour dough into a bowl. Stir eggs one after the other. Preheat oven to 200 degrees (hot air: 180 degrees).
- Grease and cook a baking sheet. Pour dough into a piping bag with a large hole (1 cm Ø) and spray approx. 16 walnut-sized dots onto the baking sheet at a distance of a few centimeters. Bake on the second bar from the bottom for 20-30 minutes. Take out, pierce (allow hot air to escape) and allow to cool on a grate.
- Halve the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape the pith out with a sharp knife. Beat the yolks, sugar, cornstarch and 100 ml of milk until smooth. Bring remaining milk, vanilla pulp and pod to a boil. Remove vanilla pod. Add the starch mixture while stirring and bring to the boil. Put the cream in a bowl, put a sheet of cling film directly on top of it so that it does not form any skin, and let it cool down.
- Stir in the vanilla cream, pour into a piping bag with a fine hole and pour into the profiteroles. Put profiteroles on a sheet of baking paper.
Melt the sugar in a small saucepan and let it turn golden (caramelize). Use a tablespoon to quickly spread the caramel in thin strands over the profiteroles and allow to cool. Alternative: Immerse profiteroles with the top briefly in the caramel, let it solidify.
- Wash berries gently and drain. Leave about one third of it, puree remaining berries and sweeten with powdered sugar to taste. Serve profiteroles with berries and berry sauce. Garnish with lemon verbena as desired.
about 440 kcal, 8 g protein, 12 g fat, 74 g carbohydrates
Here you can download the recipe: