ITALIAN EASTER CAKE | COLOMBA RECIPE in English (June 2019).
Easter is also celebrated in other countries with delicious specialties. In Italy, there is traditionally a sweet Colombo pasquale from yeast dough. The recipe for the fluffy cake can be found here.
Colomba pasquale means in German Easter pigeon. What a fitting name for the sweet, Italian Easter biscuits, which is also becoming more popular here with us. The pigeon-shaped yeast cake is made with the best of almonds, orangeate and hail sugar and either eaten at Easter or given to friends and family. The Colomba has been baked for centuries in a refractory paper form, which you can buy on the Internet or in a well-equipped bakery.$config[ads_text] not found
Recipe for a Colomba cake
- 150 ml of warm milk
- 500g flour
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 150 g butter
- 130 g of sugar
- 1 packet of yeast yeast
- 1 packet of vanilla sugar
- 150 g of orange
- 1 organic orange
- Hail sugar to sprinkle
- Almonds to sprinkle
- Icing sugar for sprinkling
- 1 pinch of salt
- Stir the yeast in a bowl with the warm milk, a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. Then sprinkle with a little flour and cover in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- When the 30 minutes have elapsed, add the remaining sugar, the remaining flour, the butter, the egg yolks, some grated orange peel and the vanilla sugar to the bowl and knead into a firm dough.
- Now add the orange pulp to the dough and knead it neatly with your hands one last time before it has to be formed into a large ball. Cover the mixing bowl with a cloth once more and let rest for one hour in a warm place.
- While the dough ball is resting, grease the Colomba baking pan with butter and dust with a little flour.
- Then spread the dough with your fingers in the shape that all corners are filled and the dough is beautifully smooth in the form. Once again, let the dough go in the mold for 30 minutes and preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Now jingling an egg in a small bowl and brushing the Colomba liberally with it. Then sprinkle with sugar and whole almonds and put in the oven for about 35 minutes.
- Before serving, let the Colomba cool down and dust with powdered sugar - done!