Even in the summer we have cravings for cake! This cake will astonish you with every fork, how perfectly the Kaffeeklatsch also fits to warm temperatures.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 250 g flour
- 130 g soft butter
- 120 g of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tbsp baking powder
Ingredients for the topping:
- 800 g rhubarb
- 80 ml apple juice
- 1 packet of vanilla pudding powder to boil
- 2 yolks
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 250 g of sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- First wash and clean the rhubarb and cut it into pieces about two centimeters in size. Mix the custard powder in a clean bowl with the powdered sugar and separate the eggs.
- Put the apple juice in a pot and heat it. The rhubarb pieces are added thereto and cooked in it for about four minutes.
- Then stir in the custard powder thoroughly until a creamy mass has formed. If it is too firm, you can add two to three tablespoons of water. Boil the rhubarb cream and let it cool down.
- Before you fold in the egg yolk, the mass should be well cooled, so that they do not coagulate. Then preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Put the butter and sugar into a bowl for the dough and whisk together until creamy. Then the eggs are added and finally sieved with flour and baking powder.
- As soon as the dough is creamy, the marrow of the vanilla pod can also be stirred in.
- Put the dough in a greased springform and spread the rhubarb cream evenly over it. The cake is now baked on the bottom rail for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime you can prepare the meringue. To do this you should first make sure that your tools are completely free of grease. Rub the bowl and the whiskers with a little vinegar.
- Then the egg whites are added to the bowl and whisked with the salt. It is important that no yolk gets into the protein.
- Once the egg whites are frothy and firm, you can let the sugar trickle in tablespoons and continue whisking. The mass should be shiny and stiff.
- Test if the sugar has completely dissolved by rubbing some protein between two fingers. If you no longer feel sugar crystals, the meringue has finished whirring.
- Take the cake out of the oven after 30 minutes and spread the egg whites over it. The meringue bonnet will be especially nice if you make small dots from it. Then the cake is baked for another 20 minutes until the meringue is golden brown.