Germknoedel Recipe - Steamed Sweet Dumplings (May 2019).
The airy dough pieces melt on the tongue and taste with a homemade custard and topped with some poppy just unmistakable good.
Sometimes it has to be sweet and then the main course may seem like a huge dessert. Pancakes, for example, are perfect for this. But also baked apples, Kaiserschmarrn or rice pudding may like to give it as a main meal.
Ingredients for about 6 pieces:
- 300 g of flour
- 100 ml of lukewarm milk
- 50 g of butter
- 20 g of yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
Ingredients for the custard:$config[ads_text] not found
- 400 ml of milk
- 4 yolks
- 50 g of sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 pinch of salt
- Put about 3/4 of the dough into a large mixing bowl and form a hollow in the middle. Crumble the yeast into it, add the sugar and pour in the lukewarm milk.
- From outside to inside, the flour must now be kneaded with the milk and yeast. Meanwhile add the butter, the salt and the remaining flour.
- The dough should be kneaded for ten to fifteen minutes to make it smooth, supple and no longer sticky. Then make it into a ball and leave it covered in a warm place for one hour.
- The voluminous dough should now be pulled together and divided into six to seven equal parts. Make them into balls and let them cover for another 20 minutes.
- Now put in a high pan or saucepan about 150 ml of water, a teaspoon of salt and a little oil.
- The yeast dumplings are put into the water and covered until the water has completely evaporated. That takes about 15 to 20 minutes.
- During this time, the custard can be cooked. To do this, scrape out the vanilla pod and mix the pods and their piths with milk, eggs, sugar, cornstarch and salt thoroughly, then bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring constantly.
- Once the sauce has reached the desired consistency, you can pull the pot off the stove and sift the sauce.